Elton A. Hollis III, the dynamic entrepreneur and owner of Hol-Tech Resources, LLC, is making waves in the business world as a sought-after consultant and influential figure in the Safety, Quality, and Compliance realms. With a career spanning over 25 years in the Oil and Gas Construction field, Elton has consistently demonstrated his commitment to excellence, leadership, and small business development.
As the owner of Hol-Tech Resources, LLC, Elton oversees a full-service consulting firm that specializes in providing comprehensive guidance and training in Safety, Quality, and Compliance. His expertise extends to the industrial, commercial, and small business industries, where he has earned a reputation for delivering top-notch consulting, training, executive coaching, and safety management services.
In addition to his role at Hol-Tech Resources, Elton serves as the General Manager of RT Technical Solutions LLC, where he plays a pivotal role in leading their team to the forefront of the Industrial Electrical and Instrumentation fields.
A dedicated advocate for entrepreneurs, Elton is a co-founder of the Golden Triangle Industrial Group and serves as the Vice-Chairperson for the Contractors Business Development Group. His passion for fostering small business success is evident in his involvement with marketing meetings, events, and mentor speaking engagements aimed at helping entrepreneurs flourish.
Elton’s impact goes beyond the boardroom, as he enjoys spending time outdoors exploring the Texas Hill Country on hiking trails. His commitment to empowering entrepreneurs led him to publish two insightful books, “Creative Problem Solving” and “Buy Into Yourself First.” The latter serves as a detailed guide on successful business development tactics, offering invaluable insights on making businesses more successful.
Recognized for his Small Business training grant work in collaboration with the Lamar Institute of Technology, Elton is well-regarded in the Safety and Training field. His dedication to small business success has garnered him features on the cover of international magazines such as Global Millionaire Magazine, InLife International, StarCentral Magazine, and Global Elite Entrepreneur Magazine. Additionally, he has contributed articles to Elitepedia, The Los Angeles Refine Post, and The Global Celebrity. VT Post has honored him by naming him one of the Top 100 Entrepreneurs in Texas.
Elton A. Hollis III stands as a true inspiration in the business world, using his experience, expertise, and voice to motivate and empower entrepreneurs on their path to sustainable life satisfaction and inherent success.
Through his leadership, advocacy, and commitment to holistic success, he exemplifies the qualities that can propel individuals towards not just business triumphs but also a deeply satisfying and fulfilling life journey.
MoneyCentral Magazine recently interviewed Elton to discuss his journey as an entrepreneur and here’s what went down:
Could you share some insights into your 25 years of experience in the Oil and Gas Construction field and how it has shaped your approach to business consulting?
Having 25 years of experience in the oil and gas industry can bring immense value to any business. The oil and gas industry is known for its complex operations, rigorous safety standards, and demanding logistical requirements. I have developed exceptional project management, risk assessment, and problem-solving skills through years of working in this industry. These skills are transferable to any business, as they foster a strategic mindset and an ability to navigate challenges effectively. Moreover, the oil and gas industry operates in a highly regulated environment, requiring professionals to understand compliance and legal frameworks. This knowledge can be invaluable in ensuring a business operates ethically and within the boundaries of the law. Additionally, the oil and gas industry is at the forefront of technological advancements, such as digitalization and automation. With 25 years of experience in this industry, I have witnessed and adapted to these technological changes, making me well-equipped to drive innovation and optimize processes in any business. Overall, the extensive experience gained in the oil and gas industry has brought me a wealth of knowledge, expertise, and a unique perspective. The most important part of my experience has been learning that nothing trumps hard work, kindness, and doing whatever you can to help another person.
As the co-founder of Small Business Friday! Video podcast, could you elaborate on how this platform supports small businesses and what motivated you to initiate this venture?
Small Business Friday started as a way for radio listeners to hear some good news about local businesses in Southeast Texas. With guidance and wisdom from the late Fernando Ramirez, we were able to expand on this to include many other platforms. Joe Tant, I, and our Producer Matthew Chance have been truly blessed to meet so many wonderful people and listen to their stories of struggle, triumph, and everything in between! Our video podcast highlights local businesses, events, and stories in hopes of expanding their footprint and giving them a helping hand to grow their business. We are very fortunate to have show sponsors that allow us to do this for these folks free of charge! Our fearless leader, Joe Tant, is fond of saying, “Once upon a time, someone helped me; now it is my turn to help someone else.”
In your role at Hol-Tech Resources, LLC, you provide Safety, Quality, and Compliance guidance. How do you ensure that these critical aspects are effectively integrated into your consulting services?
I feel the best way I’ve been able to incorporate these aspects into my services is by truly taking the time in the beginning and listening to what my customer needs. Properly identifying the need is paramount to an effective solution. Secondly, finding a way to help incorporate this solution into the unique culture of their business is also very important. One of the most rewarding parts of this process for me is watching the ideas and suggestions take shape and mold into the best solution for the company. Lastly, keeping up with all the latest regulations, laws, and industry best practices is essential for me to be able to provide my customers with the best possible safety training, consulting, and advice.
As the General Manager of RT Technical Solutions LLC, how do you contribute to positioning the company at the forefront of the Industrial Electrical and Instrumentation fields?
A key element of being at the top of any field is to have a great team. I know this sounds like the same old song and dance, but it’s absolutely key here at RT! Most of our clients are end users, such as Kinder Morgan and TC Energy, which means they are on tight deadlines, and their bids are highly competitive. The team we have here has really embraced the concept of “value-added services.” Our Projects Team hits the ground running to ensure components are ordered, delivered, and processed as quickly as possible, while our Field Services Team puts it together to finalize a safe, on-time product. None of this could happen without having great ownership. Our owner, Kasey Taylor, is one of the best in the business at setting goals and allowing her team to get things done without micromanaging. We are also a proud, certified woman-owned business.
Being actively involved in Golden Triangle Industrial Group, could you share the group’s mission and the impact it has on the industrial sector?
Travis Woods and I founded the Golden Triangle Industrial Group. Our common goal was to form a group that would bring a unique and energetic business development event to Southeast Texas.
What challenges do you perceive in the industrial, commercial, and small business industries today, and how do you address these challenges in your consulting role?
I have identified three challenges that I deal with in my realm very frequently these days.
Difficulty in marketing and advertising, and competition from industry leaders.
- I have two good friends at First State Bank of Texas in Beaumont. They have taught me the importance of sincere marketing. They have done this not by baiting me with rate discounts, but by showing up to support me, giving back to the community and being available. This not only fosters a belief in sincerity but also creates a deeper connection with customers who share those values. If you follow these basics, you can’t go wrong! Sometimes fighting the complacency of a comfortable business is tough, but if you want to grow, you need to be on the go!
Finding and retaining customers and avoiding reliance on one customer.
- The best way I’ve found to combat this problem is to offer personalized solutions, provide excellent customer service, and diversify your customer base. These items allow you to spread the footing on your business to account for any ups and downs in financial or service-based issues.
Recruiting, motivating, and training staff.
- This is such an important yet overlooked piece of business. Some great ways to help with this is by focusing on hard and soft skills, not just technical training. Next is to personalize the training to the employee skillset.
- Utilizing multiple platforms helps break up the boredom that can come with training. Something else I’ve had great success with is actually having employees train one another when they are qualified. This grows comradery and fosters teamwork while also building a great foundation of excellence for your company.
Could you highlight a particularly challenging project you’ve encountered in your career, and how your expertise helped navigate and overcome those challenges?
One of the most challenging projects I have ever dealt with involved helping a client through an OSHA audit on an industrial site. This client had never been through an audit before and was rightfully stressed. We were able to navigate this challenge by essentially using the Golden Rule. We were very upfront and honest with the inspector. This allowed an open and direct line of communication for both parties. Fortunately, I have built a very impressive group of friends and colleagues in several different fields who helped us with advice to help in this situation.
Ultimately we were able to navigate this audit with no fines and learned some very valuable learning points for daily work procedures. This was another example of how relationships, hard work, and honesty help in all aspects of business.
With your extensive experience, what advice would you offer to aspiring entrepreneurs looking to succeed in the Oil and Gas Construction field or related industries?
To aspiring entrepreneurs looking to succeed in the oil and gas industry, here is some insightful and inspiring advice:
1. Develop a Deep Understanding: Take the time to thoroughly understand the industry, its dynamics, and the challenges it presents. This includes staying updated with market trends, technological advancements, and regulatory changes. The more knowledge you have, the better positioned you’ll be to identify opportunities and make informed decisions.
2. Build a Strong Network: Networking is crucial in the oil and gas industry. Attend industry events, join professional organizations, and connect with experts and influencers. Building a strong network can open doors to partnerships, collaborations, and valuable insights. Surround yourself with like-minded individuals who can support and inspire you. Importantly, ALWAYS be looking for a way to help other people!
3. Embrace Innovation: The oil and gas industry is constantly evolving, driven by technological advancements and sustainability goals. Embrace innovation and be open to adopting new technologies and practices. Seek opportunities to leverage digitalization, automation, and renewable energy solutions. You can differentiate yourself and create a competitive advantage by staying ahead of the curve.
4. Focus on Safety and Sustainability: Safety and sustainability are non-negotiable priorities in the oil and gas industry. Make them integral parts of your business strategy from the start. Implement robust safety measures, prioritize environmental responsibility, and invest in sustainable practices. Demonstrating a commitment to safety and sustainability will not only protect your business but also enhance its reputation and credibility.
5. Be Resilient: The oil and gas industry can be volatile, with fluctuating prices and geopolitical factors impacting operations. As an entrepreneur, it’s important to be resilient and adaptable. Prepare for uncertainties, diversify your business, and have contingency plans in place. Embrace challenges as opportunities for growth and learn from setbacks.
6. Foster Strong Partnerships: Collaboration is key in the oil and gas industry. Seek out partnerships with suppliers, contractors, and other stakeholders. Establishing strong relationships based on trust and mutual benefit can lead to cost efficiencies, shared expertise, and access to new markets. Remember, success is often a collective effort.
7. Maintain a Long-Term Perspective: The oil and gas industry operates on long-term investment cycles. It’s essential to have a patient and long-term perspective. Avoid short-term thinking and focus on building sustainable growth. Invest in research and development, talent development, and strategic planning. Success in this industry requires perseverance and a commitment to the future.
Remember, entrepreneurship in the oil and gas industry requires a combination of industry knowledge, innovation, resilience, and strong relationships. Work hard, stay passionate, stay adaptable, and always strive for excellence. With dedication and a willingness to learn, you can carve your path to success in this dynamic industry.
As a multifaceted professional, how do you balance your various roles and responsibilities to ensure maximum impact and success in each area?
As a multifaceted professional, balancing various roles and responsibilities is crucial to ensuring maximum impact and success in each area. One strategy I employ is effective time management. By prioritizing tasks and setting clear goals, I am able to allocate sufficient time and attention to each role. This involves creating a schedule, identifying essential tasks, and delegating when necessary. Additionally, I believe in the power of delegation and collaboration. By leveraging the strengths and expertise of others, I am able to distribute responsibilities and work more efficiently. This not only helps me manage multiple roles effectively but also fosters a sense of teamwork and collective achievement. Lastly, I maintain a growth mindset and constantly seek opportunities for learning and development. By staying updated with industry trends and acquiring new skills, I am able to enhance my performance in each role and adapt to evolving demands. By employing these strategies, I am able to balance my various roles and responsibilities effectively, ensuring maximum impact and success in each area.