Photos courtesy of Madame Methven
Kaila Methven is the brains behind possibly the world’s most expensive lingerie label, and she’s not only successful she’s also drop-dead gorgeous.
Kaila’s family once upon a time owned The Rainbow Unlimited Chicken Company (RLC), which used to supply 90 percent of KFC’s poultry. After inheriting her family’s sale of RLC shares back in 1991, Kaila decided to step away from the fried chicken business and focus instead on a much sexier line of work: a luxury lingerie company.
At just 16 years old, Kaila interned at her first Paris Fashion Show and went on to earn a Master’s Degree from the International Fashion Academy – Paris. She completed advanced training at Polymodo in Florence.
Kaila has so far been featured in Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, and Maxim and she has dressed some of today’s sexiest stars including the likes of Demi Lovato, Katherine McPhee, The Kardashians, and more. Kaila has just released her new vivacious, ultra sexy lingerie and intimate apparel line called “Lady Methven” and it was created for the everyday woman. Combining childlike innocence, erotic playfulness, and female power, Kaila dares everyone to fall in love again.
MoneyCentral Magazine recently sat down with Kaila to find out more about the luxury lingerie brand the whole world is currently gushing about and here’s what went down.
1. How were you actually ‘discovered’?
The first person who discovered me was Jean Charles de Castelbajac. I was a student at IFA, and he was visiting the school at the time. I was designing a jacket that day, he saw it and fell in love with it. After that, he gave me an internship in his company.
2. What do you like most about being a designer?
My most prestigious reward is to see women fall in love again wearing my lingerie. It is an honor for me when I see them feeling empowered, beautiful, sexy and confident.
3 What’s it like dressing some of the most famous people in the world?
It is extremely rewarding that famous people recognize my talent and want to wear my designs. However, I try to stay humble, and a client is a client. I don’t treat my clients differently because their name is well known. Each of my clients gets the best service I can provide, no matter who they are.
4. What first interested you in style/fashion?
I was born in LA, grew up in Paris, and graduated with my bachelor at Esmod, masters at IFA, MBA at Polymoda. I interned as a makeup artist at Paris fashion week for Dior, and when I saw all those models walking down the runway, I knew my destiny was to become a designer.
5. What made you decide to make it into a career?
Originally, I wanted to be an entertainment lawyer. But when my mother passed away, I moved to France, and I was immediately inspired by the fashion and the arts, so I entered in design school.
6. When did your career start?
I began filling my business documents to become legitimate a year and a half ago. I then started my design process and brought it to fruition during the summer of 2017. It took my team and me about six months to make the entire collection.
7. What do you enjoy most about style/fashion?
The most rewarding thing to me is the creativity it brings to my clients and the smiles on their faces.
8. We note that you have more than 500,000 followers on Instagram- what is your secret to gaining a lot of followers?
I always have new content. I don’t want my followers to get bored. Instagram is one of the biggest social media platforms; it is important to provide new content, make stories, like other amazing influencer’s posts, etc.
9. What sort of marketing do you do to make your image and brand more appealing to the audience?
We do a bunch of stuff from social media, Amazon, Ads, Parties, and other PR work.
10. How active are you on social media?
I am extremely active on social media. I post almost every day.
11. What is your favorite social media platform?
12. How do you think lingerie is dictating fashion trends for 2018?
Bodysuits are very in this season. It is very easy to wear it with jeans and a blazer, and it makes a very sexy and elegant outfit.
13. What are the color trends in lingerie? Can you tell us when and where to wear each of them?
Beige, mustard yellow, and forest green.
14. Can you give some tips to men who are looking to purchase lingerie?
Always buy XS size, so her boobs look bigger, and XS size for her waist, so it looks slimmer. You never wrap lingerie in a box with tissue paper, always hold it in your hands with a bottle of wine or just have it lying on the bed waiting for her when she comes home.
15. What’s the best lingerie to pair with your favorite winter blazer?
A black dentelle bodysuit. You can find them easily on my website or my Lady Methven bodysuits on Amazon.
16. How can lingerie enhance one’s mood?
Arousing visuals stirs chemicals in your partner’s brain, we all want something sexy to ourselves.
17. Do you have a specific inspiration that keeps you going in your career?
There is one woman who always pushed me to accomplish my dreams, whose name I’ll keep confidential. As of today, we are still in contact, she is very proud of me, and I always turn to her for advice. Ultimately, I am impressed by many successful businesswomen who started from the ground up.
18. What has been the most valuable lesson you’ve learned. This can be about the industry or about yourself. Or both!
Always believe in yourself, never give up on your dreams, and continue to work hard because hard work always pays off.
19. What are your plans? Inside your career or out of it.
Hopefully, I will have a store open, be an even better person, a better CEO with a very accomplished company, and have international stores.
The ‘LIGHTNING FAST’ Round:
1. What is the one beauty product you can’t live without?
The La Mer moisturizing soft cream. I apply it every night before I go to bed and it leaves my skin flawless.
2. What is in your makeup bag when you travel?
Every time I travel, I always have my glam squad with me to glam me up everywhere I go.
3. What is the one “flaw” you wouldn’t change about yourself?
I always wear Louboutin, and fur every time its chilly outside.
5. Your best guilty pleasure…
Having eight orgasms in my black Lady Methven bodysuit.